Faith Family Friends

Celebrating the Joy of Living & Home Making ~

Baking, Cooking, Decorating, Tea Time, and taking Inspiration from those I love and the world around me...

A sharing of my heart and my home from a Christian perspective

...with a wee bit of whimsy added.

Friday 17 June 2016

Lilacs and Roses

What is one to say about June, the time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade. ~
Gertrude Jekyll - excerpt from Victoria May/June 2011




Hello everyone! It's been another cold and rainy week. No one is happy because those who like to garden, golf, play tennis, or walk on the shore, are not able to. Very disappointing!

However, on a brighter note, the trees are very lush and green as is the grass. Bushes and trees are filled with blossoms and the promise of summertime is still ahead. The songbirds are singing their little hearts out in the trees behind our home and it fills me with joy.

So, let's gather some fragrant lilacs and pretty china and see if they can cheer us up. The scent of lilacs alone can make one happy!


I have shared my Johnson Bros. Rose Chintz many times over the years but I have to share it again when the lilacs are out. I had originally set my table with blue transferware but it just looked flat so out came my Rose Chintz once again. 



I love using my Rose Chintz pitcher for a big bouquet and I like using smaller pieces like a creamer for smaller arrangements. Lilacs just look so pretty with this pattern.

My Rose Chintz talks to me. It reminds me of a little girl visiting her auntie over in New Brunswick who always set her table with these girly dishes. The dishes had been a wedding present to her and her husband. Auntie's table always looked special, almost like a garden, and that made the little girl feel special while she was there. It was something she could count on and she was smitten with those dishes from a very early age. 

Most of my beloved Rose Chintz came to me via my sweet auntie and now they remind me of her and the loving relationship we share.



I love how the lilacs bring out those sweet little blue forget-me-nots sprinkled among the roses in the pattern. It just looks so pretty and whimsical.



I cannot resist sharing this pattern when it is lilac season.




Lilacs and lace.







The other day I went into an antique shop looking for a vintage lace tablecloth. I didn't find one but I did leave with three china cups and saucers {Yes, I have been naughty because I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more.} When one is planning to downsize, one doesn't keep buying china. Until you at least get settled and then you can start again. Pretty china is my weakness. 

I love things that bear the touch of time; chips and all - they're more beautiful than perfection. ~  Victoria magazine


I also bought a little silver plated pitcher which I simply couldn't resist! It has a patina on it but I like it. The camera picks up the outline of where there used to be a label but with the naked eye you don't see it at all.



And here it is with a couple sprigs of lilacs in it. Cute? I think the shape of it is ever so sweet!



This is going to hold many different posies over the years.

I made blueberry oatmeal muffins to have with our tea. We have been eating rhubarb for a week so I thought blueberries would be a nice change.






Next week I will share one of my new teacups with you. Here is a sneak peek.



You like?? Are you curious? This is one teacup I COULD NOT leave behind and you will see why next week.

Thank you for your company today. I love it when you stop by. Enjoy your weekend and be sure to stop and smell the roses or lilacs or whatever is blooming in your part of the world! Take care, dear friends.

PS ~ The sun finally came out! Yay!!


People need people and friends need friends
And we all need love, for a full life depends
Not on vast riches or great acclaim
Not on success or worldly fame
But just in knowing that someone cares
And holds us close in their thoughts and prayers. 
~ Helen Steiner Rice ~

I am joining the following parties as well ~


Tuesday Cuppa Tea
Bernideen's TTCG Blog Party
Tea Cup Tuesday
The Art of Home-Making Mondays
Share Your Cup Thursday
Home Sweet Home


Sharing from my heart ~ Sandi

21 comments :

  1. Lilacs are so lovely and they last long. Your rose chintz dishes are so gorgeous, hope to find some pieces some day. The lilac teacup is perfect for today.
    Enjoy your Summer weekend sweet lady
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Rose Chintz china and no you could not leave those pieces behind
    Your lilacs look very pretty in the little pitcher

    I bet you bought a violet cup and saucer

    I have a few pieces of your rose chintz pattern

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am imagining the sweet fragrance of the lilacs since ours are now finished and the light lavender colour does go well with your Rose Chintz china.
    We're heading into a few days of really hot weather and the strawberries are ready so I'll be going picking very early in the morning.
    Have a good weekend Sandi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sandi:
    Your lilacs are just so wonderful. I hope to have more next year here. They smell so good and yours look so lovely in your vase. I love the combination of the 2 and also am happy you found some cups and saucers that sound wonderful. Hope you have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your lilacs are beautiful, this year our lilacs maybe lasted a week. I look forward to lilac season every year they just don't last long enough. A few years ago our Dollar Tree carried a lilac scented body spray that smelt just like the real flowers. I had bought tons of them but have yet to find anything that smells like real lilacs since.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it interesting how the Rose Chintz looks a little different when you put the lilacs close to it? Such a pretty pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it interesting how the Rose Chintz looks a little different when you put the lilacs close to it? Such a pretty pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never tire of seeing your pretty china Sandi. It's so pretty with the lilacs

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love reading your memories of time you spent with your auntie, dear Sandi. The lilacs certainly do bring out the color of the forget-me-nots. Your sweet little pitcher was a happy find, and I look forward to seeing more of your new teacups.
    Happy weekend, and I hope the rain goes away!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Rose Chintz china is so lovely and perfect with lilacs - I'm always happy to see it again:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I do love Rose Chintz. I have a bit of it but I don't have the teapot, just the coffee pot. I never thought of putting it with lilacs...so very pretty. Our lilacs were so early and they've been gone for so long! Very pretty pix.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always enjoy seeing your beautiful Rose Chintz collection, Sandi! I think we need to start an online support group for teacup addiction. I'm also supposed to be restricting my teaware purchases, but couldn't resist rescuing some teacups from church sales recently. Is your new teacup an Aynsley?!?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sandi. Glad the sun finally came out for you. Here we could use some rain.....it's been incredibly hot...in the mid 30's. But even so, the flowers are blooming, the trees are brilliant and life is good. Have an incredible week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The lilacs are lovely! Your china cups are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sandi: I too made a promise not to buy any more tea cups. It is so hard. Love the lilacs. Have a great week. Hugs, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  16. The rose chintz and lilacs together are just gorgeous! Oh how I love both.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So very pretty! Lovely memories of Auntie, too. x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your pretty china. It looks so lovely with the lilacs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lilacs and your rose chintz -- wonderful. I love lilacs and I can't grow them where I live. I miss them. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is beautiful Sandi! It rained here for months and now it is hot and dry to the bone. We normally have rain every other afternoon, but not this year. I keep watering. Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just gorgeous! Thank you for sharing on the Art of Home-Making Mondays! :)

    ReplyDelete

I am delighted to have you visit me and I read every comment. Please forgive me for not being able to visit you all as there are so many of you lovely bloggy friends now. I will visit as much as possible. I wish you a day filled with JOY!

Also, due to the amount of spam I've been getting, I have had to set Comment Moderation. ~ Sandi

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.