Faith Family Friends

Celebrating the Joy of Living & Home Making ~

Baking, Cooking, Decorating, Tea Time, and taking Inspiration from those I love and the world around me...

A sharing of my heart and my home from a Christian perspective

...with a wee bit of whimsy added.

Wednesday 6 February 2013

HOME


"Having somewhere to go is HOME. Having someone to love is Family. Having both is a Blessing." ~ Author unknown


Hello my dear friends and welcome to my HOME!
I hope you're all enjoying your week...

You will very seldom hear me complain on my blog as I am basically a happy person and I count my blessings every day.
But this past week has been difficult. Last week was a whirlwind of activity at our home what with company, appointments, and my mother in the hospital. Sitting around in a hospital really plays havoc on my bad back.
Our computer was not working for two days and early Sunday morning, I pulled a muscle in my back. It was all I could do to sit and get my visits in and my new posts up.  

My back is still giving me grief but hopefully, it will mend soon and in the meantime I hope the computer and I will strike a harmonious chord.

Some of you who host weekly parties do not do features and I may have to join you as I am having far too many problems getting my features ready every week. I have such a temperamental computer and it doesn't always do want I want it to do! Oftentimes, it can take me hours to get your features on. So, until further notice, I am sorry but this will be my last week of features for a while.

I will begin with the most viewed post from last week. Congratulations Jeannie @ The French Hen's Nest. If you love blue and white, then please check out this charming blog as Jeannie and her sister Linda collect all things blue and white and use it so creatively to beautify their homes.


Some other lovely posts which caught my eye last week ~

Schotzy @ Wings of Eagles served a beautiful Valentine brunch for her friends.  I adore her pretty table set with lovely red transferware and silver. She also made a delicious Strawberry Cheesecake French Toast; yum! The recipe is on her post if you would like to make it for your family and friends.



Also, two of my bloggy friends made lovely heart creations, one used sea shells while the other used pistachio shells which she painted a delicate shade of pink. I hope you will check them out as well.

Sherry @ The Charm of Home created a heart out of seashells which is really cute. This was her copy cat version which I liked much better than that which was in a magazine.



And Kathy @ A Delightsome Life also created her pretty heart using pistachio shells, sugar pearls, and paint. She added a faux rose and some ribbon. Isn't it sweet!

Pink Pistachio Heart Silver Tray3

Thank you everyone for your fabulous posts each week. I really enjoy visiting each of you to see what you are working on. As soon as the kinks are worked out, I will share features again.


As promised at my tea party this week, I will share the recipe for my Quick Victoria Sponge Cake. It's actually not a true sponge but my take on it. I almost always bake from scratch but last week, I had too much going on so I used a mix instead.

 
Usually a Victoria Sponge cake has a plain top layer or it's dusted with powdered sugar. However, my hubby doesn't like powdered sugar, so I opted to spread the top with real whipped cream and berries. He loved it!

Quick Victoria Sponge Cake

I used a plain white DH cake mix. 

Mix together with electric mixer-
Cake mix, 3 large egg whites,  1-1/3 cups water,  2 T. oil, in a large bowl on low speed for 30 seconds until moistened. Then beat with mixer for 2 minutes at medium speed.

Pour batter immediately into a greased angel food pan and bake at 350 degrees for 43-48 minutes. Cool completely and split into two layers.
On the bottom layer, spread real whipped cream and 1/2 cup of a good strawberry jam or preserves. Place the other layer on top and lather on more whipped cream. Add some fresh strawberries.




It really is a delicious cake and it's pretty too. It would actually make a lovely cake for Valentines Day, don't you think?


Thank you for joining me at my HOME this week. I just love having you! If you have something HOME related that you would like to share with us, please refer to the list and sign up.

My little tidbit for today ~

Grace isn't a little prayer you say before receiving a meal....It is a way to live." - Author unknown

Cooking and baking, recipes, antiquing, artwork, home decor, ceramics, crafts, crocheting/knitting, quilting/sewing, floral arranging/gardening, homemaking tips, hospitality, refinishing furniture, DIY,  tea time, tablescapes, thrift shopping etc....Maybe there's a new baby in the family or you have a new fur baby you would like to introduce us to. They are welcome too! Anything and everything which makes your HOME more enjoyable to come HOME to, for your family, your friends, and yourself.

As a courtesy, please link back to me so that your visitors may find their way here to visit with all my lovely participants.

I am joining the following parties as well~

What's It Wednesday~ http://ivyandelephants.blogspot.com/
Home and Garden Thursday ~ http://www.adelightsomelife.com/
Share Your Cup Thursday~ http://jannolson.blogspot.com/
Cottage Style Linky Party~ http://lavendergardencottage.blogspot.com/
Tutorials Tips and Tidbits ~ http://www.stonegableblog.com/
Home Sweet Home~ http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.com/
Open House~ http://bernideensteatimeblog.blogspot.com/


Sharing from my heart ~ Sandi

24 comments :

  1. Hi Sandi, thank your for hosting. I'm sitting here in the hospital with my hubby as he's recovering. Thanks for your prayers, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandi:
    So sorry to hear about your back - I too have issues and my kids gave me a little Chromebook for Christmas which has helped me keep up with things better since I didn't have internet at home before - HOWEVER - sitting at the kitchen table at home with it - back back quickly locks up. I must have back support in a chair! Always something!

    I will keep your Mom in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your back, your mother and your computer problems. A friend just told me last week that everything has it cycles, bad included it seems. Feel better soon..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sandi,

    I am terribly sorry to hear about your mom in the hospital - how is she doing? And I am sorry to hear about your back and computer. I will pray your back gets to feeling better very soon. And as for computers, they are so tempermental :)

    Thank you for hosting your delightful party.

    Bug hugs to you,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sandi, you do have a lot on your plate right now. I will trust with you for God's hand of healing and that your back will be restored quickly. Take care of yourself and we will all look forward to your fun party...features or not! I hope your computer gets healed too!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sandi, it is so like you to keep the weekly blog meetings going even though you have a full home life requiring your attention too. I hope your mom recovers from her concerns and that your back will get back to normal. I think our computers, and iPads etc. are wrecking havoc on our necks and backs; how will the younger generation manage?
    I had no idea your sponge cake originated from a mix, that makes things easier and I like whip cream on the top of mine too.
    Take some time to relax and get better.
    Hugs,
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi again Sandi, I had a minute while my hubby is resting in the hospital and had time to read through your post. I'm so sorry about your bad back and all the troubles you've been having. I hope your back heals quickly and that your mom is out of the hospital. Take care, sweet friend! Big hugs sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Sandi. I am so sorry to hear about first your Mom being hospitalized, and secondly about your bad back. I hope your Mom is well soon, and we will be praying for her. And you, for your back to heal. I have had back problems so I know how difficult it makes the simplest of things. Rest, drink water and take some ibuprofen to reduce swelling...and be patient and allow it to heal. God bless you my friend. We will be praying for you.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh...soooo sorry about your back! :( My hands are getting better and I've decided that getting older with ANY kind of health problems is the PITS! :( Hope you get better soon!

    Prayers for your Momma my friend...

    You are sooo talented!

    xoRebecca

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the recipe for the cake it sounds so simple, just my speed. Hope you and your family get better soon. Take care, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sand, I'm so sorry to hear you had a rough week, but it sounds like you have everything in the right perspective!! Just the same, know that I am sending you prayers. Thanks so much for still having and hosting your beautiful link party. As much as I love to know what you think, we don't really need to be "featured" anyway. It really is the "joy of the doing" that is most important and how we share. I pray this week is much calmer than your last.
    Blessings,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Dear Sandi, I do appreciate you sharing my Pistachio wreath! Always a blessing to join your party,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sandi,
    Oh, my goodness. I'm so sorry to hear all you are going through. I will be praying for you and your Mom.
    I have missed blogging for several weeks and it's so good to be back home. Our little grandbaby finally arrived and he is as sweet as can be. The circumstances around his birth were very difficult. God was so close to us all blessing and comforting us.

    Thank you for your fond friendship, Sandi!
    Blessings,
    Carolynn xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sandi
    I hope you will be feeling better very soon, and that your computer will behave!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Sandi, I am praying for your mother and for your painful back.
    I hope all will soon be well again for you both!
    Your cake looks really delicious, and what does it matter if it's a packet mix? You can do a lot with them and they are so handy to have on hand.
    Be gentle on yourself, my friend.
    Just get well!
    love and hugs..Trish xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pistachio heart! I will definitely have to try making one (or several) of those!.. So sorry to hear that your back is giving you trouble, Sandi. Wishing both you and your mom well soon! ((hugs)) ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing this recipe and hosting this wonderful party. I'm so happy to be able to join in today.

    Hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for hosting such lovely parties always, Sandi It's always a treat to read your comments on my posts. Feel better soon.
    Linda at Beautiful Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, the cake looks divine! Strawberries and cream, yum!
    Thanks so much for hosting.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  20. great quote....very true. Home. I love the word and mostly I love the feeling of having and being home. Home for me came when He touched me.....hugs PEI buddy....stay safe and warm out there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Sandi,
    I'm so sorry that you have been having a difficult time and I hope that things will improve and find you back to your chipper self.

    Love all of the features. I'm always amazed at the multitude of talent in Blogland.

    Here's to a better week.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  22. andi,
    I hope your back is starting to feel better and that you are getting some releif.
    I know all too well about back problems.
    Thanks so much for stopping by and always having such sweet things to say!!

    Did you hear that the U.S. Postal Service is supposed to go to 5 day delivery in August? That will mean Joe will have every Saturday off instead of every 6th Saturday. I won't know how to act! Even though I work every other weekend , it still opens up a whole lot of posssibilites of what we can now get to do!!

    I hope you are having a nice weekend. Did you get snow from the blizzard that hit New England here in the U.S.?

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sandi, I am so sorry to hear about your back. I hope you and your mother have a speedy recovery. Love the features and that cake, YUM! Pinning the recipe. Hope you get your computer problems worked out also. Can be so frustrating. I didn't get linked up this week. Will join in next week.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

I am delighted to have you visit me and I read every comment. Please forgive me for not being able to visit you all as there are so many of you lovely bloggy friends now. I will visit as much as possible. I wish you a day filled with JOY!

Also, due to the amount of spam I've been getting, I have had to set Comment Moderation. ~ Sandi

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.